MAIN ACHIEVEMENTS AND RECOGNITION
1. Reviewer of scientific articles submitted to:
- Systems and Control Letters.
- Proceedings of the Institute of Electrical Engineers-Part D: Control Theory and Applications.
- Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control.
- Journal of the Franklin Institute.
- Applied Mathematics and Computer Science.
- International Journal of Systems Science.
- Computers and Electronics in Agriculture.
- Control Engineering Practice.
- IEEE Control System Magazine.
- Journal of Global Optimization.
- Computational and Applied Mathematics.
- e-Journal of the CIGR.
2. Reviewer of scientific articles submitted to:
- 4th Mediterranean Symposium on New Directions on Control and Automation, Chania, Crete, 21-23 June 1996.
- 36th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Kobe, Japan, December 11-13, 1996.
- 1st IMACS International Conference on Circuits, Systems and Computers, Piraeus, Greece, July 17-19, 1996.
- 3rd IMACS Multi-Conference on Circuits, Systems, Communications and Computers, Hellenic Naval Academy, Piraeus, Greece, July 16-19, 1999.
- 2002 Ámerican Control Conference, Anchorage, Alaska, May 8-10, 2002.
- 41th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A., December 10-13, 2002.
3. Member (2000-) of the steering committee of the IFAC Technical Committee on Modeling and Control in Agricultural Processes.
4. Member (2001-) of the steering committee of the IFAC Technical Committee on Intelligent Control in Agriculture.
5. Member (2003-) of the Editorial Advisory Board of the Book Series on "Stability, Vibration and Control of Systems" (Editor-in-Chief, Prof. Arde Guran), World Scientific Publishing Company.
6. Member of the International Scientific Committee of the 1st IMACS Conference on Circuits, Systems and Computers, Hellenic Naval Academy, Piraeus, Greece, July 17-19, 1996.
7. Member of the International Scientific Committee of the 3rd IMACS Multi-Conference on Circuits, Systems, Communications and Computers, Hellenic Naval Academy, Piraeus, Greece, July 16-19, 1999.
8. Chairman of the scientific session on "Linear Systems É". 2nd Portuguese Control Conference (CONTROLO 96), Porto, Portugal, 11-13 September, 1996.
9. Chairman of the scientific session on "Control Theory and Applications II". IFAC/CIGR Conference on Intelligent Control in Agriculture Applications, Bali, Indonesia, August, 22-24, 2001.
10. Co-Chairman of the scientific session on "Stochastic and Adaptive Systems". 4th Mediterranean Symposium on New Directions on Control and Automation, Chania, Crete, 21-23 June, 1996.
11. Co-Chairman of the scientific session on "Power". 17th IASTED International Conference on Modelling, Identification and Control, Grindelwald, Switzerland, February 18-20, 1998.
12. Co-Chairman of the scientific session on "Multirate Systems". 2nd IMACS International Conference on Circuits, Systems and Computers, Piraeus, Greece, October 26-28, 1998.
13. Co-Chairman of the scientific session on "Nonlinear Systems ". 18th IASTED International Conference on Modeling, Identification and Control, Innsbruck, Austria, February 15-18, 1999.
14. Co-Chairman of the scientific session on "Adaptive Systems II". 7th IEEE Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED'99), Haifa, Israel, June 28-30, 1999.
15. Co-Chairman of the scientific session on "PID Control". 11th IEEE Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, Rodos, Greece, June 28-30, 2003.
16. Reviewer of tutorial books and supportive material for the Primary and Secondary Education, Ministry of Education and Religions, Hellenic Pedagogical Institute, 2003.
17. Postgraduate Research Bursary (1988-1991) in "Applied Mathematics" from the State Greek Scholarships' Foundation of Greece.
18. Invited Presentation in the Invited Session on "Periodic Systems" of the 1st IFAC Workshop on New Trends in Design of Control Systems, Smolenice, Slovakia, September 7-10, 1994.
19. Invited Presentation in the Invited Session on "Intelligent and Adaptive Systems" of the 1999 European Control Conference, Êarlsruhe, Germany, August 31-September 3, 1999.
20. Invited Presentation in 11th International Congress on Cybernetics and Systems, London, UK, August 23-27, 1999.
21. Over 50 citations. Major citations:
- M.S.Chen, "Generalized Bass-Gura Formula for the Control of Linear Time-Varying Systems", Journal of Control Systems and Technology, vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 163-169, 1995.
- J.H.Braslavsky, "Frequency domain analysis of sampled-data control systems", Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, 2308, Australia, October 1995, ISBN 7259 0905 6.
- M.-S.Chen and Y.R.Huang, "Linear Time-Varying System Control Based on the Inverse Transformation", Automatica, vol. 33, pp. 683-688, 1997.
- M.-S.Chen and C.-Y.Cao, "Control of Linear Time-Varying Systems Using Forward Riccati Equation", Transactions of the ASME: Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, vol. 119, pp. 536-540, 1997.
- M.-S.Chen, "A Tracking Controller for Linear Time-Varying Systems", Transactions of the ASME: Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control. vol. 120, pp. 111-116, 1998.
- S.Limanond and K.S.Tsakalis, "Model Reference Adaptive and Non-Adaptive Control of Linear Time-Varying Plants", IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 45, pp. 1290-1300, 2000.
- A.K.Tangirala, D.Li, R.S.Patwardhan, S.L.Shah and T.Chen, "Ripple-free conditions for lifted multirate control systems", Automatica, vol. 37, pp. 1637-1645, 2001.
- T.W.S. Chow, H.-Z. Tan and Y.Fang, "Nonlinear System Representation", in J. Webster (Ed.) Wiley Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronics Engineering On-Line, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2001.
- A.K.Tangirala, "Multirate Control and Multiscale Monitoring of Chemical Processes", Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada, Fall 2001.
- I. B. Oliveira, "A "HUM" Conjugate Gradient Algorithm for Constrained Nonlinear Optimal Control: Terminal and Regulator Problems", Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MA, USA, February 2002.
- C.M.Velez Sanchez, "Modelado, Simulacion y Control de Sistemas con Muestreo no Convencional", Revista EAFIT, No. 125, pp. 9-20, 2002.
- M.Chidambaram and R. Padma Sree, "A Simple Method of Tuning PID Controllers for Integrator/Dead-Time Processes", Computers and Chemical Engineering. Vol. 27, pp. 211-215, 2003.
- N.R.Markarian, C.Vigneault, Y. Gariepy and T. J. Rennie, "Computerized Monitoring and Control for a Research Controlled-Atmosphere Storage Facillity", Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. Vol. 39, pp. 23-37, 2003.
- C.J.Ôaylor, P.Leigh, L.Price, P.C.Young, E.Vranken and D.Berckmans, "Proposrtional-Integral-Plus (PIP) Controlof Ventilation Rate in Agricultural Buildings", Control Engineering Practice, in press.
- R.Prokop, P.Hustak and Z.Prokopova, "Robust PID-Like Controllers-Design and Tuning", Preprints of the IFAC Workshop on Digital Control: Past, Present and Future of PID Control, Terrassa, Spain, April 5-7, 2000, pp. 320-325.
- J.C.Ascencio Cansado, "Controle de Ambientes em Estufa", Monografia PCS-5773, Topicos de Automacao Agricola, Escola Politecnica de Universidade Sao Paulo, Departamento de Engenharia de Computacao e Sistemas Digitais, 2000.
- J.C.Ascencio Cansado, "Instrumentos Inteligentes Aplicados a Automacao Agricola: Temperatura", Monografia PCS-5713, Imstrumentacao Inteligente, Escola Politecnica de Universidade Sao Paulo, Departamento de Engenharia de Computacao e Sistemas Digitais, 2000.
- A. O’ Dwyer, "PID Compensation of Time Delayed Processes: A Survey", Proceedings of the Irish Signals and Systems Conference, pp. 5-12, Dublin, Ireland, June 29-30, 2000.
- A. O’ Dwyer, "PI and PID Controller Tuning Rules for Time Delay Processes: A Summary", Technical Report AOD-00-01, School of Control Systems and Electrical Engineering, Dublin Institute of Technology, p. 205, 2000.
- M.Ishitobi, "Adaptive Multirate Control of a Position Servo System" (in Japanese), 45th Control System Information Academic Society Research Announcement Seminar Lecture Dissertation Collection, Kumamoto University Engineering Department, 2001.
- M.Brocker, "Reglersynthese zur Storgro?enreduktion Einer Aktiven Hydropneumatischen Radeinheit", Technical Report 03/2001, University of Duisburg, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Measurement and Control, 47048 Duisburg, Germany.
- M.Brocker und H.Schwarz, "Reglersynthese zur Storgro?enreduktion am Beispiel des hydrostatischen Antriebs eines Roboters", VDI-Berichte, Nr. 1608, pp. 303-310, 2001.
- M.Brocker, "Nonlinear Control Methods for Disturbance Rejection on a Hydraulically Driven Flexible Robot", Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Robot Motion and Control, (ROMOCO 2001), Bukowy Dworek, Poland, October 18-20, 2001, pp. 213-218.
- M.Brocker, "Nonlinear Disturbance Rejection of a Flexible Robot", Proceedings of the 6th European Control Conference (ECC 2001), Porto, Portugal, Sptember 4-7, 2001, pp. 208-213.
- M.Brocker, "On Nonlinear Disturbance Attenuation for Hydraulic Cylinders via Tracking Control", Proceedings of the 15th Triennial IFAC World Congress, paper 792, Barcelona, July 21-26, 2002.
- D.Leach, "Practical Guidelines for Identifying and TuningPID Control Loops with Long Deadtime and/or Time Constants", Siemens Process Automation User Community Conference, Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A., October 2002.
- C.M.Velez Sanchez, in http://sigma.eafit.edu.co/~cmvelez/multirate/bibliografya.htm
- Portal Tecnociencia, Fundacion Espanola para la Ciencia y la Technologia, Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnologia, «Cultivos Hidroponicos». www.tecnociencia.es/fecyt/public/especiales/cultivos_hidroponicos/16.htm